K5 Singapore Mathematics – Core Ideas and Essential Strategies
Learn the foundations of the Singapore approach to teaching mathematics. Are you just starting your journey or have you been teaching for many years? Are you using a Singapore mathematics program or some other textbook or resource? Regardless of your answer to these questions, you will find this course to be an incredibly helpful learning experience. In this course, you will learn the concepts and strategies that drive the Singapore approach to instruction. These strategies and concepts can be implemented in any elementary math classroom – regardless of program, curriculum or classroom demographics. We promise you’ll be inspired, empowered and entertained.
ABOUT YOUR TRAINER
Dr. Yeap is a world-famous Singapore Mathematics trainer and author. He has trained teachers in over 40 countries around the world and has been called “The Michael Jordan of Singapore Mathematics.” Dr. Yeap’s workshops will inspire, entertain and educate you and your teachers. To learn even more about Dr. Yeap you can visit his speaker page here: Dr. Yeap Ban Har
WHAT YOU’LL LEARN
When you have completed your course, you’ll have deepened your content knowledge and discovered connections and underlying mathematical ideas that you never knew existed. You’ll better understand how your students learn, and how to better teach them. Teaching mathematics will never be the same as you share endless satisfying moments with your students and colleagues. Some of the topics for this workshop include:
- The 5 key learning experiences that boost student achievement and deepen understanding
- Using Singapore’s 3-part lesson format to meet the needs of all students
- Building understanding through the Concrete-Pictorial-Abstract approach to instruction
- Journaling routines and practices for the mathematics classroom
- The characteristics of effective guided and independent practice
- Meeting the needs of struggling learners in the mainstream classroom
- The correct use of concrete manipulatives
- Much, much more
All the strategies and practices you’ll learn are a product of the best education research available and have been tested in the highest performing classrooms in Singapore and the United States. The best part is you’ll be able to implement these powerful and practical strategies immediately.