6-12 Mathematical Reasoning & Communication with Dr. Yeap Ban Har
Mathematics can, and should, make sense to all learners. When math makes sense, engagement, achievement, and test scores climb. If you would like to learn some of the most effective, research-based and classroom-proven strategies to develop your students’ reasoning and communication skills – all while building new levels of engagement, confidence, and satisfaction in your classroom – this workshop is for you.
When you teach your students to reason – to make useful and logical inferences from a body of information – the mathematics you teach makes sense. Their learning will deepen as their recall increases. But more importantly, engagement and perseverance soar as they begin to truly enjoy the mathematics they’re taught. Mathematics will no longer be a seemingly endless and insurmountable list of rules and procedures.
Reasoning shares an integral and inseparable connection with mathematical communication. To experience success in mathematics, our students must be able to construct viable arguments and critique the reasoning of others. They should be able to analyze situations, form plausible arguments and be able to communicate their ideas and conclusions to their classmates. Conversely, students should have the communication skills to understand, analyze and respond to the arguments and conclusions formed by their peers.
What You’ll Learn
When your experience with us has concluded, you’ll have deepened your content knowledge and discovered connections and underlying mathematical ideas that you never knew existed. You’ll better understand how to communicate with your students and help them develop the critical reasoning skills they need to be successful students of mathematics. Teaching mathematics will never be the same as you share endless satisfying moments with your students and colleagues. Some of the topics for this workshop include:
- Pose questions to your students that facilitate rich classroom discourse and logical progressions
- Plan lessons and create tasks that nurture reasoning skills and are accessible to all of your students
- Teach formulas and algorithms through reasoning and problem-solving rather than rote memorization
- Develop algebraic thinking through reasoning and deep conceptual understanding
- Effectively communicate with your students to facilitate learning and decrease frustration
- Much more. . .
All the strategies and practices you’ll learn are a product of the best education research available and has been tested in the highest performing classrooms in Singapore and the United States. The best part is you’ll be able to implement these powerful and practical strategies immediately.
What to Bring
When you attend one of our workshops you’ll learn just like your students do. You’ll be provided with a coursebook and all the manipulatives you need. However, if you’d like to bring any problems, books, student work, or other materials you’d like us to help with, we strongly encourage you to do so. Our instructors are true professionals with decades of real classroom experience. They’re flexible, approachable and will go above and beyond to make sure your needs are met and your questions answered.
8:30 – 10:15 am
|●||Introduction and Instruction|
10:15 – 10:30 am
10:30 am – 12:00 pm
12:00 – 1:00 pm
|●||Lunch (on your own)|
1:00 – 3:00 pm
3:00 – 3:30 pm
|●||Q & A (Optional)|
We do not arrange blocks of rooms or any discounts with area hotels. The following is a shortlist of the hotels that are close to the venue
5 Reasons to Attend a 3R Workshop
- All of our instructors are accomplished educators with a minimum of 10 years of full-time classroom experience.
- The feedback we receive drives our future workshops – we teach what our teachers want and ask for
- Our workshops are interactive and hands-on and our instructors are friendly and approachable.
- We use a demonstration model for all of our workshops so that you’ll feel comfortable implementing what you’ve learned immediately – because you’ve seen the strategies in action.
- We’re a family-owned small business. We care about our clients and are passionate about what we do.
*Parking- Parking is paid for by participants.