- This event has passed.
K5 Mathematical Reasoning & Problem Solving- Spotlight on Whole Number Operations and Place Value with Dr. Yeap Ban Har
Number sense and place value are the foundations of Singapore’s approach to teaching mathematics – the approach that is responsible for Singapore’s rise to the top of the world in international tests of students’ achievement in mathematics. Participants of this two-day workshop will learn the instructional strategies and theory needed to develop their students’ skills and understanding to levels they never thought possible.
The first day will focus on topics such as addition and subtraction, number bonds, and place value concept building. The second day will begin with multiplication and division and close with place value strategies and bar modeling. Truly effective professional development is content-focused and begins with teachers learning as students. The trainer will guide teachers through demonstration lessons and follow with a thorough analysis of the strategies and theories involved. Implicit in all of our workshops is teaching with problem-solving, the C-P-A approach, journal writing, and collaboration.
- Strategies for building number sense concepts such as conservation and subitization
- Mathematical reasoning and sense building with whole numbers
- Creating a culture of effective collaboration in the classroom
- Teaching with number bonds to lay the foundation of place value
- Key place value understandings and strategies to develop them
- Addition and subtraction of both small and large numbers
- Teaching Multiplication and division of whole numbers
- A problem-solving and reasoning approach to developing math fact fluency without rote memorization
- Consolidating learning and deepening the understanding of whole numbers through problem-solving
- Solving multiplication and division word problems with bar models
About Dr. Yeap Ban Har
To learn more about Dr. Yeap you can visit his speaker page.
8:00 – 8:30 am Breakfast and Registration
Arrive early for breakfast and networking with friends and colleagues
8:30 – 12:00 – Instruction
12:00 – 1:00 pm – Lunch
Lunch is provided for all!
1:00 – 3:00 –Instruction
3:00 – 3:30 pm – Open Questions and Pictures
Leave at 3:00 pm if you like or spend some more time with us talking about math with your instructor.