K5 | Teaching Mathematics Online – Strategies for Engagement and Collaboration with Dr. Bill Tozzo
July 27,2:00 pm - 3:00 pm EDT$58.00
Many teachers find themselves lost in the new normal of remote teaching. Technology choices and use can be overwhelming – even more so when teaching math remotely and incorporate it into meaningful lessons. Student engagement and creating opportunities for collaboration and discourse are particularly challenging for teachers in a remote setting. If you find yourself faced with these challenges, then this course can help get you started on the path toward teaching math more effectively online.
What You’ll Learn
The focus of this training will not be the technology you need and how to use it. Technology use will be incidental. Rather, it will be how to create lessons and teach mathematics remotely with strategies that get results. Some of the topics you’ll learn are:
- How to use tools like FlipGrid to foster student expression and mathematical arguments
- How to easily create small group assignments and discussions with tools like Zoom or Google Meet
- Creating assignments that enable students to show their work and teachers to provide feedback
- Creating and assigning anchor tasks and problems for remote lessons
- Much more. . .
After completing your self-paced lessons you’ll meet for a full hour with your trainer and fellow educators to have your questions answered while gaining additional insights and tips. There will also be at least one moderator to make sure you are comfortable with the technology and have a successful experience.
The difficult times we find ourselves in has certainly created new challenges. Many teachers are confined to their homes, struggling with childcare and family issues, or having trouble making ends meet. We designed our summer courses to meet these challenges and provide our teachers with an exceptional professional development experience. Our summer courses were designed to meet these unique challenges. We call it our “Virtual Asynchronous Mini-Course.” Some of the key components and features include:
- Completely Online – video and live virtual meetings
- Bite-Size – complete the course in 2-3 hours
- Flexible – asynchronous hybrid design and mostly self-scheduled
- Modestly priced – affordable and accessible
The different components of the course will integrate seamlessly and attendees find the convenience and flexibility enjoyable, while the content and instruction will exceed your expectations.
What to Expect
The first part of the course comprises 45-75 minutes of high definition video lessons taught by your trainer, and you may be asked to complete some relevant problems or work prior to the second part of the course. The videos are outtakes from our most popular workshops or recorded specifically for the course, and will be available for you from the time of registration until the live session with your trainer.
The second part is a live video meeting with your fellow course attendees and your trainer. You'll join a private Zoom meeting room where you can collaborate, ask questions, review topics and gain additional insights. If you have not used Zoom before we will provide detailed instructions and support so you can be confident your live meeting with your trainer goes smoothly.
As soon as you register for your training you'll receive two emails – an email from Zoom, and a ticket email that will instruct you how to access your personal course page. Your course page will contain:
- Step-by-step instructions and course requirements
- Your exclusive high definition lesson videos that you can watch whenever you choose. You'll have access until the end of your live meeting with your trainer
- Course handouts you can download and print or import into your device
We’ll be there to support you the entire way. The videos and course materials will take approximately 60-90 minutes to complete and can be viewed whenever convenient, and the live session with your instructor will last for an hour. You won’t believe how much you were able to learn in such a short amount of time.
To ensure everyone has enough time with Dr. Yeap, seats are limited so register early!
5 Reasons to Train with Us
- All of our instructors are accomplished educators with a minimum of 10 years of full-time classroom experience.
- The feedback we receive drives our future workshops – we teach what our teachers want and ask for
- Our workshops are interactive and hands-on and our instructors are friendly and approachable.
- We use a demonstration model for all of our workshops so that you’ll feel comfortable implementing what you’ve learned immediately – because you’ve seen the strategies in action.
- We’re a family-owned small business. We care about our clients and are passionate about what we do.